I recently did a business trip to Rio and had hoped to find dumpling restaurants to report back on, but the trip turned out to be too hectic to do much Dumpling Hunting. One of the dumpling-esque things I did eat a lot of were pão de queijo, which are small cheese stuffed baked buns. These delicious buns are similar to small Bao, but use cassava flour and require no leavening. The hotel I stayed at served them for breakfast every morning and they could also be bought from street vendors and coffee/snack shops all over Rio. Pão de queijo are also popular in Japan, having been brought to Japan by the migration of Brazilian born ethnic Japanese who have immigrated to Japan. In Japan they are made with rice flour rather than cassava.
Dumpling Hunter InstagramPotato and spinach pierogi served fried in butter and served fried with onions. Plates by Dumpling Hunter.High end looking design for the packaging but none of the promised “Hot and Spicy” flavor. .3 and 5-year aged soy sauce from Korea. Makes an elevated dumpling dipping sauce. .So sad Kajitsu plans to close in 2022 but happy to have the cook book. .
- Steam, Boil, Fry: The Many Ways to Cook a Dumpling, Explained April 11, 2021
- How to Fold Dumplings, For Novices and Experts April 10, 2021
- Brooklyn Dumpling Shop Signs Eight-Unit Franchise Deal for New Jersey March 31, 2021
- Dining out in Dumpling Inn April 5, 2021
- Watch: YouTuber visits Shady Maple, two other local eateries; here's what he thought April 9, 2021