The folks at Quartz posted a great article and video about an expat, Siyi Chen, from Shanghai hunting for Xiao Long Bao in NYC. Chen hit eight dumplings houses with highly rated online reviews – Joe’s Shanghai, Taste of Shanghai, Nan Xiang Dumpling House, Yaso Tangbao, 21 Shanghai House, Yu Garden Dumpling House, Shanghai Asian House, and The Bao – with The Bao getting the top review in Chen’s tour. I also really enjoyed The Bao, although I think the Pork and Kimchi soup dumpling at La Salle Dumpling Room is my new favorite. I recently tried to introduce a friend to the wonders of soup dumplings and took him to Oriental Flavor in Amherst MA where I had been served some really good dumplings on prior visits. Unfortunately this time the dumplings were a complete fail, so over steamed that the wrappers were ruptured and disintegrating in the steamer.
Dumpling Hunter InstagramPotato and spinach pierogi served fried in butter and served fried with onions. Plates by Dumpling Hunter.High end looking design for the packaging but none of the promised “Hot and Spicy” flavor. .3 and 5-year aged soy sauce from Korea. Makes an elevated dumpling dipping sauce. .So sad Kajitsu plans to close in 2022 but happy to have the cook book. .
- Steam, Boil, Fry: The Many Ways to Cook a Dumpling, Explained April 11, 2021
- How to Fold Dumplings, For Novices and Experts April 10, 2021
- Brooklyn Dumpling Shop Signs Eight-Unit Franchise Deal for New Jersey March 31, 2021
- Dining out in Dumpling Inn April 5, 2021
- Watch: YouTuber visits Shady Maple, two other local eateries; here's what he thought April 9, 2021