Arvind Mahankali, 13 of Bayside Hills, won the National Spelling Bee by correctly spelling Knaidel, the Yiddish word for dumpling (links, links). However, the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research has challenged the result, arguing the correct spelling is Kneydl. Apparently, Arvind’s win is safe as the Spelling Bee uses the 3rd edition of Webster’s dictionary as the reference spelling guide, and Webster’s has it as Knaidel. With this win Arvind announced he is retiring from competitive spelling to focus on physics.
Dumpling Hunter Instagram
- How to make cheeseburger dumplings with the Dumpling Mafia January 16, 2023
- 16 Delectable Dumpling Destinations in Portland and Beyond January 27, 2023
- Celebrating the Lunar New Year with Dumpling Daughter January 24, 2023
- Take a peek inside James Beard Award-winner Irene Li's new dumpling factory and cafe January 25, 2023
- Global Dumpling Recipes From Pierogi to Gyoza to Empanadas January 22, 2023