Arvind Mahankali, 13 of Bayside Hills, won the National Spelling Bee by correctly spelling Knaidel, the Yiddish word for dumpling (links, links). However, the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research has challenged the result, arguing the correct spelling is Kneydl. Apparently, Arvind’s win is safe as the Spelling Bee uses the 3rd edition of Webster’s dictionary as the reference spelling guide, and Webster’s has it as Knaidel. With this win Arvind announced he is retiring from competitive spelling to focus on physics.
Dumpling Hunter Instagram
- Martha Stewart’s Chicken & Dumpling Recipe is Serious Food for Your Soul January 11, 2021
- Watch: Cha Eun Woo Bewilders Hwang In Yeob By Repeatedly Cracking Up While Filming “True Beauty” Dumpling Battle Scene January 15, 2021
- Cooking with Colm O'Gorman: Chicken and dumpling sujebi January 14, 2021
- Pretty sweet: J-Petal's lovely Japanese crepes sweeten up State Street January 17, 2021
- Comedian Uncle Roger pulls video with anti-Beijing food vlogger Mike Chen from Strictly Dumpling – but draws a backlash January 13, 2021